Installing temporary flooring is a practical solution for creating usable surfaces for outdoor events, construction sites, and other applications requiring portable and removable flooring. From dance floors to ground protection, temporary flooring is available in various materials, sizes, and configurations.
Benefits of Temporary Outdoor Flooring
Temporary flooring offers advantages over permanent flooring:
- Portable – Can be set up and removed quickly for events, then stored or moved.
- Custom sizing – Many temporary floors come in interlocking tiles or modular sections that can be arranged in any size or shape.
- Cost effective – Rental fees or purchasing modular flooring costs less than permanent floor installation.
- Weather resistant – Made of durable, outdoor-rated materials that won’t warp or degrade from moisture.
- Low maintenance – Components clean easily and don’t require refinishing or repairs.
- Safety – Provides even, slip-resistant surfaces. Certain materials like rubber absorb impacts.
- Aesthetics – Many temporary floors come in attractive colors or realistic wood/stone patterns.
From festivals to construction sites, temporary flooring creates usable spaces while protecting the underlying ground.
Types of Temporary Outdoor Flooring
There are several main types of modular and portable flooring systems:
Interlocking Plastic Floor Tiles
- Made of HDPE or polypropylene plastic
- Interlocking tiles click together over any hard surface
- Good for light duty use like events, patios, rental spaces
- Can withstand some vehicle loads depending on product
Interlocking Composite Floor Tiles
- Composite wood and plastic construction
- More durable and higher load capacity than plastic tiles
- Realistic wood plank patterns available
- Good for medium duty use including food trucks and booths
Portable Roadway and Event Flooring
- Heavy duty interlocking aluminum or fiberglass panels
- Withstands vehicle traffic for roadways, equipment access
- Used for concerts, races, graduations, and other major events
Ground Protection Mats
- Heavy woven geotextile fabric or rubber mats
- Designed for ground protection at construction sites
- Helps prevent erosion and stabilize soil
Portable Dance Floors
- Prefabricated wooden dance floor panels
- Floating installation over any surface
- Provides smooth, resilient surface ideal for dancing
- Popular for weddings, parties, festivals
Choosing the Right Temporary Outdoor Flooring
Consider these factors when selecting temporary flooring:
- Type of use – Light duty vs heavy equipment or vehicles
- Duration of use – Hours, days, weeks, or months
- Weather conditions – Rain, sun exposure, temperature extremes
- Surface material – Plastic, wood, aluminum, rubber, fabric
- Safety rating – Slip resistance and fire ratings
- Underlying surface – Grass, dirt, concrete, asphalt, etc.
- Size needed – Order adequate square footage with expansion space
Measure the area and consult with vendors to select the best portable flooring for your specific application and budget.
Applications for Temporary Outdoor Flooring
Some common applications include:
- Music/art festivals and fairs
- Graduation ceremonies
- Outdoor weddings
- Pop up markets and trade shows
- Food truck gatherings
- Ground protection under equipment and vehicles
- Access roads and walkways through site
- Temporary offices and shelters
- Patios, decks, and balconies
- Rooftop spaces
- Campsites and RV parks
- Beach boardwalks
- Transitional spaces between indoors and outdoors
- Covered outdoor dining areas
- Pool decks and locker rooms
- Boat docks and marinas
Proper flooring creates clean, attractive, and safe spaces for any short or long term outdoor activity or event.
Installing Temporary Outdoor Flooring
Most modular temporary flooring is designed for quick DIY installation:
- Clear and level installation area of all debris and obstructions
- Layout tiles or panels in the desired configuration with expansion gaps
- Connect interlocking tiles or panels so seams align smoothly
- Anchor perimeter edges as needed for stability
- Ramp or feather edges that transition to other surfaces
- Disassemble flooring when no longer needed and store components
Larger installations like portable roadways or dance floors may require professional assembly. Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions for proper installation and safety.
Maintaining Temporary Outdoor Flooring
Modular flooring requires minimal maintenance:
- Inspect for any damaged tiles or panels and replace
- Sweep or mop to remove dirt, leaves, debris
- Use manufacturer recommended cleaners and methods
- Avoid excessive moisture buildup under flooring
- Take up any sections that become uneven or distorted
- Disassemble entire floor at end of usage period
Storing tiles and panels properly when not in use extends their lifespan for repeated installations.
Prices for temporary outdoor flooring vary based on:
- Type of flooring material
- Size of tiles or panels
- Weight capacity and durability
- Amount of flooring needed
- Duration of rental or purchase
Event flooring rents for approximately $2 – $5 per square foot for a 3-5 day event. Purchasing interlocking tiles ranges from $3 – $25 per square foot.
Factor in delivery fees, installation costs, and storage fees for rentals. Purchased flooring has higher upfront cost but allows reuse. Assess needs and get quotes to determine the most economical temporary flooring solution.
- Temporary modular flooring provides versatile, affordable surfaces for both indoor and outdoor spaces.
- Materials like plastic, wood, aluminum and rubber are designed to withstand weather and heavy use.
- Applications range from festivals and events to construction sites and patios.
- Interlocking tiles or panels allow custom configurations and are easy to install.
- Choose flooring with appropriate durability, traction, and aesthetics for the intended use.
- Proper installation and maintenance extends the usable life of temporary flooring.
With the right type of portable flooring for your needs, you can create usable, attractive spaces almost anywhere temporarily or semi-permanently.
Louvered roofs are becoming increasingly popular for their versatility, durability, and aesthetic appeal. They offer numerous benefits, including excellent shade, weather resistance, and customizable...
Your deck is a great place to relax and enjoy the outdoors, but it can also be a breeding ground for dirt, grime, and mold. If you don't clean your deck regularly, it will start to look dingy and...