Your roof is your first line of defense against the elements. When properly maintained, a roof can last decades and protect your home from water damage. But neglect roof care, and leaks, mold, and decay can quickly occur. Follow this essential maintenance guide to maximize your roof’s lifespan.
Make roof inspections an annual ritual. Schedule maintenance in fall to prepare for winter storms.
- Use binoculars for an overall visual check of missing, cracked or curling shingles. Look for vegetation growing in gutters.
- Inspect flashings around chimneys, vents and skylights for cracks.
- Identify any sagging or deformation in the roof structure.
- Only walk on roofs with proper fall protection equipment and shoes with grip.
- Inspect from the ground with zoom lenses where possible.
- Hire professionals if the roof pitch exceeds 6/12 slope.
Clean Gutters and Downspouts
Clogged gutters cause water to pool on the roof, leading to premature wear.
- Use a garden hose to wash debris from gutters.
- Flush downspouts to ensure they drain freely.
- Install gutter guards to prevent future leaf buildup.
Gutter Maintenance Schedule
|Fall||Clear leaves and debris|
|Spring||Flush pollen and dust|
|Mid-Summer||Recheck problem areas for debris|
|As Needed||Wash out dirt and algae|
Inspect Flashing Details
Flashing seals joints vulnerable to leaks. Inspect for:
- Cracks or gaps in corner and intersection flashing. Recaulk as needed.
- Signs of rust, lifting, or holes in metal step flashing and valleys.
- Shrinkage or gaps in boot flashings around vents and pipes. Reseal with mastic.
Use a sealant like butyl rubber, urethane, or roof cement for long lasting repairs. Avoid short term fixes like silicone caulk.
Repair Loose Shingles
Temperatures cycles can loosen nails and cause shingles to buckle or lift.
- Identify loose or separating shingles and re-nail carefully.
- Look for breakage around edges and reseal with roofing cement.
- Flat roofs are prone to wind uplift – re-secure curled corners.
Roofing Adhesive Types
|Asphalt/Tar Roof Cement||Thick mastic||Patching shingles, flashing, seams|
|Roofing Sealant||Thin, brush-on liquid||Sealing flashing, screws, joints|
|Construction Adhesive||General caulk/sealant||Repairing gutters, flashing, vents|
|Butyl Rubber Sealant||Long-lasting, pliable||Sealing difficult or moving joints|
Trim Overhanging Trees
Trees in contact with the roof accelerate wear and clog gutters.
- Cut back any overhanging branches or leaves.
- Clear vines growing on roof or walls.
- Keep trees adjacent to home pruned to allow airflow.
- Hire an arborist for high trees – don’t risk falling.
Check local codes for allowable overhang encroachment. Avoid tree work during nesting season.
Clean the Roof
Moss, mildew, and algae buildup can lead to decay and leaks.
- Use a pressure washer to clean the roof once per year after winter.
- Wear protective eyewear to avoid injury from debris.
- Rinse debris from gutters and property after cleaning.
Mix Your Own Roof Wash
- 1 cup bleach
- 1/3 cup Trisodium Phosphate
- 3 quarts water
Wear gloves and exercise caution on a ladder. Start at the peak and work down methodically. Rinse all biocide off vegetation when done.
Fix Vent Problems
Check that all roof and gable vents are clear and functioning:
- Reattach any damaged or disconnected vents
- Clear bird nests or debris blocking airflow
- Ensure vent screens keep out pests while allowing ventilation
- Check attic for signs of moisture like mold or wet insulation
Proper airflow is key to attic moisture management and roof longevity.
Repair Fascia and Soffits
Rotting wood fascia and soffits can allow moisture into the roof structure. Watch for:
- Peeling paint, cracking, or swelling
- Mold or dark stains
- Sagging or detachment from rafter tails
- Gaps that allow vermin or wasp entry
Make repairs with new pressure-treated wood, caulk gaps, and repaint to protect the repaired area.
Know When To Call A Pro
Some roof repairs are best left to qualified roofing contractors. Seek professional help for:
- Complete roof replacements or installs.
- Storm damage repairs.
- Work on steep, multi-story, or fragile roofs.
- Chimney, skylight, or other structural flashing details.
- Signs of moisture below roof surface.
Get multiple quotes and check licensing, insurance, and reviews before hiring.
Emergency Leak Repairs
If a leak occurs before repairs can be made:
- Setup buckets beneath dripping water.
- Cover effected area with plastic sheeting, securing carefully with boards or weights.
- Run a hose or dehumidifier into the attic space to control moisture spread.
- Remove damaged drywall or insulation.
- Make temporary repairs once roof surface is dry.
Act quickly to minimize interior damage until permanent fixes can be made.
With annual maintenance, you can maximize your roof’s lifespan and value. Keep gutters cleaned, inspect for damage, and make timely repairs. At the first sign of interior water damage, take emergency steps to minimize the impact until underlying issues can be permanently corrected. Reference this guide to make roof care a regular priority. Performing routine maintenance protects your most valuable asset – your home.
Louvered roofs are becoming increasingly popular for their versatility, durability, and aesthetic appeal. They offer numerous benefits, including excellent shade, weather resistance, and customizable...
Your deck is a great place to relax and enjoy the outdoors, but it can also be a breeding ground for dirt, grime, and mold. If you don't clean your deck regularly, it will start to look dingy and...