Plastic mesh and grate flooring provides an affordable and practical flooring solution for a variety of applications ranging from industrial workspaces to backyard decks. Compared to materials like concrete or wood, plastic flooring offers benefits like drainage, slip resistance, and easy installation. This article will examine the features and uses of these two popular types of plastic flooring.
What is Plastic Mesh Flooring?
Plastic mesh flooring consists of sturdy crisscrossed plastic strips that create a mesh surface. According to DirectMetals.com, key features include:
- Grid-like pattern with square or diamond-shaped openings that allow water drainage and air circulation. Open area is typically 50-60%.
- Most commonly made from polypropylene or polyethylene plastic. Withstands weather and UV exposure.
- Easy to cut and install over any hard surface. Sections connect together to cover large areas.
- Allows light and liquids to pass through while providing a slip-resistant walking/working surface.
- Helps prevent slips and falls in wet areas. Mesh provides traction even when wet.
- Available in multiple colors and mesh opening sizes from 1/4” up to 1”. Custom options available.
Plastic mesh flooring is lightweight, durable, and easy to work with using basic hand tools. It’s an ideal solution for wet areas that require drainage and grip.
Applications for Plastic Mesh Flooring
Plastic mesh flooring is commonly used in these applications:
- Decks, patios, walkways – Allows water drainage to prevent puddles and slippery surfaces. Provides better grip than wooden decks.
- Pool surrounds – Mesh flooring provides traction and prevents slipping on wet pool decks. Improves safety.
- Greenhouses – Allows excess water to drain away while creating a level surface to walk on.
- Marinas, docks – Promotes drainage on boat docks and ramps. Provides stability when wet.
- Equipment and utility platforms – Allows liquid, dirt and debris to fall through the mesh, keeping the platform surface clear and safe.
- Temporary roadways – Provides a stable driving surface over grass or dirt. Mesh helps prevent rutting and damage.
Plastic mesh flooring creates a slip-resistant yet porous surface for any application where traction and drainage are needed.
What is Plastic Grate Flooring?
Plastic grate flooring consists of interconnected plastic grate panels that install together to form a modular flooring system. Key features include:
- Interlocking grate panels made of durable polypropylene or fiberglass plastic.
- Grates have raised bars spaced apart to allow liquid and small particles to pass through.
- Easy to install and remove. Panels assemble together over any hard subfloor.
- Withstands heavy foot traffic and loads from vehicles and equipment.
- Provides drainage and ventilation while maintaining a flat, stable surface.
- Helps prevent slips and falls in wet conditions. Grates allow drainage while providing grip.
- Easy to clean by spraying or hosing off dirt and debris that falls through.
Plastic grate flooring creates durable, anti-slip flooring that resists corrosion and the elements.
Applications for Plastic Grate Flooring
Some common uses of plastic grate flooring include:
- Wet processing areas – Allows drainage of liquids in food processing plants, breweries, and other wet industrial spaces.
- Trenches and access tunnels – Provides a slip-resistant floor for trenches while allowing drainage. Improves safety and access.
- Equipment and machinery platforms – Liquids and debris fall through the grates, keeping the platform clean and dry.
- Temporary roadways and event flooring – Grates allow drainage and prevent damage to underlying grass or soil from heavy vehicles and equipment.
- Rooftop equipment platforms – Allows water, dirt and roofing gravel to drain through while providing a flat, stable walking surface.
- Marinas and docks – Enables drainage while providing a slip-resistant surface along waterfronts.
Plastic grate flooring is highly versatile for any application where drainage, grip, and heavy loads are factors.
Benefits of Plastic Mesh and Grate Flooring
Compared to materials like concrete, wood, or steel, plastic mesh and grate flooring offers advantages like:
- Slip resistance – Plastic mesh and grates provide grip even when wet. Improves safety.
- Drainage – Allows liquids, dirt and debris to drain away, keeping walking/working surfaces clean and dry.
- Ventilation – Allows air circulation through flooring surface.
- Lightweight – Weighs less than concrete, wood, or steel. Easier to transport and install.
- Quick installation – Interlocking panels or rolls install over hard surfaces with basic tools.
- Corrosion resistance – Plastic stands up to water, chemicals and weather without rusting or decaying.
- Outdoor durability – UV-stabilized plastic retains strength and integrity when exposed to sunlight and the elements.
- Affordability – Typically cheaper upfront cost compared to materials like concrete or steel.
- Customization – Available in different opening sizes, panel sizes, colors and thicknesses.
Plastic mesh and grate flooring provide the ideal combination of drainage, grip, and strength for demanding applications.
Plastic mesh flooring costs $1-$5 per square foot on average based on the material thickness and opening size. Plastic grate flooring ranges from $5-$20 per square foot depending on load capacity and panel thickness. Additional costs may include:
- Delivery fees
- Professional installation
- Custom fabrication
- Site preparation
- Perimeter edging or frames
- Subfloor waterproofing or insulation
For large commercial projects, get quotes from multiple plastic flooring suppliers to find the best product at the most competitive pricing.
- Plastic mesh flooring provides drainage and grip using a grid-like surface of crisscrossed plastic strips.
- Interlocking plastic grate panels assemble together to form a modular, anti-slip flooring system.
- Both types are affordable, low maintenance, and suitable for indoor & outdoor applications.
- Ideal uses include decks, docks, pool surrounds, equipment platforms, temporary roadways and more.
- Benefits include slip resistance, drainage, ventilation, lightweight yet durable construction.
For wet areas that require drainage and traction underfoot, plastic mesh and grate
Louvered roofs are becoming increasingly popular for their versatility, durability, and aesthetic appeal. They offer numerous benefits, including excellent shade, weather resistance, and customizable...
Your deck is a great place to relax and enjoy the outdoors, but it can also be a breeding ground for dirt, grime, and mold. If you don't clean your deck regularly, it will start to look dingy and...